Policies » Section G: Personnel » GBEBB: Employee-Student Relations
Policy Date: 11/10/2009Download Policy Now
ASD File: GBEBB
AUBURN SCHOOL DISTRICT
Although it is desired that staff members have a sincere interest in students as individuals, partiality and the appearance of impropriety must be avoided. Staff members are expected to use good judgment in their relationships with students both inside and outside of the school context including, but not limited to, the following guidelines:
1. Staff members shall not make derogatory comments to students regarding the school and/or its staff.
2. Staff members shall not fraternize, written, verbally or electronically with students except on matters that pertain to school-related issues.
3. Staff members shall not associate with students in any situation or activity which could be considered sexually suggestive or involve the presence or use of tobacco, alcohol or drugs.
4. Staff members shall not use insults or sarcasm against students as a method of forcing compliance with requirements or expectations.
5. Staff members shall maintain a reasonable standard of care for the supervision, control and protection of students commensurate with their assigned duties and responsibilities.
6. Staff members shall not send students on personal errands.
7. Staff members shall, pursuant to law and Board policy, immediately report any suspected signs of child abuse or neglect.
8. Staff members who become aware of a student’s personal problem relating to sexual behavior, substance abuse, mental or physical health and/or family relationships will refer the student to the appropriate individual or agency for assistance.
9. Staff members shall not disclose information concerning a student, other than directory information, to any person not authorized to receive such information. This includes, but is not limited to, information concerning assessments, ability scores, grades, behavior, mental or physical health and/or family background.
Adopted: June 13, 2000
Revised: November 10, 2009