Policies » Section G: Personnel » GBEF-R: Acceptable Internet Use Procedures – Staff
Policy Date: 06/08/2021Download Policy Now
ASD File: GBEF-R
AUBURN SCHOOL DISTRICT
ACCEPTABLE INTERNET USE PROCEDURES – STAFF
The purpose of the Acceptable Use Procedures is to provide the procedures, rules, guidelines, and the
code of conduct for the use of technology and the Internet.
The definition of “information networks” is any configuration of hardware and software which connects
users. The network includes, but is not limited to, all of the computer hardware, operating system
software, application software, stored text and data files. This includes electronic mail, local databases,
externally accessed databases, DVD/CD-ROM, recorded magnetic or optical media, clip art, digital
images, digitized information, communications technologies, and new technologies as they become
available. Stand-alone workstations are also governed by this acceptable use procedure.
The School District Services
The School District provides resources for teaching and learning, communication services, and business
data services by maintaining access to local, regional, national, and international sources of information.
The School District information resources will be used by members of the school community with respect
for the public trust through which they have been provided and in accordance with policy and regulations
established by the School District. These procedures do not attempt to articulate all required or
proscribed behavior by its users.
Successful operation of the network requires that all users conduct themselves in a responsible, decent,
ethical and polite manner while using the network. The user is ultimately responsible for his/her actions
in accessing the network.
1. Access to the networks and to the information technology environment within the District is a
privilege and must be treated as such by all users of the network and its associated systems.
2. Information networks will be used for the purposes of research, education, and school-related
business and operations.
3. Any system which requires password access or for which the District requires an account, will
only be used by the authorized user. Account users are ultimately responsible for all activity
under their accounts.
4. The resources of the District are limited. All users must exercise prudence in the shared use
of this resource.
The District has the right to take disciplinary action, remove device(s) and networking privileges and/or
take legal action, for any activity characterized as unethical and/or unacceptable. Unacceptable use
activities constitute, but are not limited to, any activity through which any user:
1. Violates such matters as institutional or third-party copyright, license agreements or other
contracts. The unauthorized use of and/or copying of software is illegal.
2. Interferes with or disrupts other network users, services or equipment. Disruptions include,
but are not limited to: distribution of unsolicited advertising, propagation of malware, distributing
quantities of information that overwhelm the system, and/or using a District network to make
unauthorized entry into any other resource accessible via the network.
3. Seeks to gain or gains unauthorized access to information resources.
4. Uses or knowingly allows another to use any device or computer system to devise or execute
a scheme to defraud or to obtain money, property, services, or other things of value by false
pretenses, promises, or representations.
5. Destroys, alters, dismantles or otherwise interferes with the integrity of computer based
information and/or information resources.
6. Invades the privacy of individuals or entities.
7. Uses the network for commercial or political activity.
8. Installs unauthorized software for use on District device.
9. Uses a network to access inappropriate materials.
10. Submits, publishes or displays any defamatory, inaccurate, racially offensive, abusive,
obscene, profane, sexually oriented, or threatening materials or messages either publicly or
11. Uses a District network for illegal harassing, vandalizing, inappropriate or obscene purposes,
or in support of such activities.
School District Rights
The District reserves the right to:
1. Monitor all activity. Notwithstanding any related laws, staff members have no expectation of
privacy regarding their use on the school district computer network.
2. Make determinations on whether specific uses of a network are consistent with these
acceptable use procedures.
3. Log network use and monitor storage utilization by users.
4. Determine what is appropriate use.
5. Remove a user’s access to the device or network at any time it is determined that the user
engaged in unauthorized activity or violated these acceptable use procedures.
6. Cooperate fully with any investigation concerning or relating to the District’s network activity.
School District Internet Code of Conduct
Use of the Internet by students and staff of the District shall be in support of education and research
that is consistent with the mission of the District. Internet use is limited to those persons who have
been issued District-approved accounts. Use will be in accordance with the District’s Acceptable Use
Procedures and this Code of Conduct. Users are expected to abide by the following terms and
1. Protect their Internet log-in information from others.
2. Respect the privacy of other users. Do not use other users’ passwords.
3. Be ethical and courteous. Do not send hate, harassing or obscene mail, discriminatory
remarks, or demonstrate other antisocial behaviors.
4. Maintain the integrity of files and data. Do not modify or copy files/data of other users
without their consent.
5. Treat information created by others as the private property of the creator. Respect
6. Use any network in a way that does not disrupt its use by others.
7. Do not destroy, modify or abuse the hardware or software in any way.
8. Do not develop or pass on programs that harass other users or infiltrate a computer or
computing system and/or damage the software components of a computer or computing system,
such as viruses, worms or other malware, “chain” messages, etc.
9. Do not use access pornographic or otherwise inappropriate material.
10. Do not use the Internet for commercial purposes.
The District reserves the right to remove a user’s account if it is determined that the user is engaged in
unauthorized activity or is violating this code of conduct.
School District Internet Access Release Form
As a condition of my right as a staff member to use the School District network resources, including
access to the Internet, staff members understand and agree to the following:
1. To abide by the District Acceptable Use Procedures and Code of Conduct.
2. That District administrators and designated staff have the right to review, edit and/or delete
any material stored on District computers, which they believe, in their sole discretion, may be
unlawful, obscene, abusive, or otherwise objectionable. Staff members hereby waive any right of
privacy which they may otherwise have to such material.
3. That the School District will not be liable for any direct or indirect, incidental, or consequential
damages due to information gained and/or obtained via use of the District’s network resources.
4. That the School District does not warrant that the functions of any District network, or any
network accessible through District resources, will meet any specific requirements you may have,
or that the network resources will be error-free or uninterrupted.
5. That the School District shall not be liable for any direct or indirect, incidental or
consequential damages (including lost data or information) sustained or incurred in connection
with the use, operation, or inability to use District networks and resources.
6. That the use of the District network(s), including access to public networks, is a privilege
which may be revoked by network administrators at any time for violation of the Acceptable Use
Procedures and Code of Conduct. The School District will be the sole arbiter(s) of what
constitutes violation of the Acceptable Use Procedures or Code of Conduct.
7. In consideration for the privilege of using the School District network resources and in
consideration for having access to the public networks, I hereby release the School District, its
operators, and any institutions with which they are affiliated from any and all claims and
damages of any nature arising from my use, or inability to use, the District network resources.
Name of User/Staff Member: __________________________________________
I hereby certify that I have read the Acceptable Use Policy and Procedures; that I fully understand their terms and conditions; and that I will abide by the terms and conditions set forth in that document.
Signature of User/Staff Member: __________________________________________
Signature of Building Principal: __________________________________________
Adopted: May 8, 2012
Reviewed: June 11, 2019
Revised: June 8, 2021